Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Did you miss me?

I have been so effing busy I haven't had time to word vomit all over my blog. I know you, my faithful reader, must have been so worried about where I might have gone off to.

"Has she met someone??"

"Is she jet-setting around the globe looking fabulous?"

"Has she landed a new, awesome high-paying job and has no time to do fun things anymore..."

The answer to all of these questions is sadly NO, but alas, a girl can dream. She's still single, she's still on the ground and she is still poor. 

I've been working, chasing after my monster, spending time with my family, running away from blood thirsty mosquitoes, watching Mad Men and generally keeping to myself. A lot has happened in September and I am O-V-E-R   I-T. 

Here are a couple things I took the time to take pictures of because I cooked them and they were delicious. 

The first are panko crusted tofu cubes. I got the recipe from a mommy friend Zana (( look on Instagram for #Zanamade for all of her creations and #NotZanamade for all of our fails ))   

Seriously, she makes some amazing dishes and was kind enough to share this gem with me.


 What you need
1 package firm tofu
panko bread crumbs
1 egg white
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder
rice flour
baking sheet

What you need to do

Press the tofu for an hour or more. You MUST do this part

  •       put the tofu on a plate or cutting board with a few paper towels on the bottom
    • On top of the tofu put another 2 or three folded over paper towels and add another plate to the top then something heavy on top of the plate (can, wine, whatever)
    • Let this sit and change the paper towels if it gets drenched. You need to get as much water as you can out of the tofu and absorbed into the towels 
    • Do this for at least an hour. I did mine for almost three
     

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet or tray with Pam or whatever you use

Cube the tofu, sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic evenly and set aside

Now roll the cubes into the rice flour, dip into egg white and smother with panko

Add to tray and repeat steps until you have finished

Bake until golden brown, may require a flip!

 
Next on the list......


 Spinach and kale balls (( did she just say BALLS?!?!?! ))

These were inspired by the ones at Trader Joes. As many of you know, we are banned due to an incident at the banana stand (( "there is always money in the banana stand" )) and since then I took it upon myself to only go when either A) my child was in an exceptionally tolerant mood or B) I am by myself

Since I am never alone I went when he was happy. Still, I don't stay long. 

These are balls of spinach and kale and are not vegan friendly (( sorry kid )) I found the recipe on a taste of home and added kale

What you need 

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
2 cups of finely chopped kale 
2-1/2 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (to garnish)
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper



 



 What you need to do

Cook spinach according to package directions and make sure you drain well

Combine spinach with remaining ingredients (( including kale))  in a large bowl. Shape into 1-in. balls

place on an ungreased baking sheet

Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until very lightly browned

Balls can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight before baking

....that's a lot of balls ;-)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment