Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Vegans eat pretty

I had mentioned earlier that I am a vegetarian (( and proud )) but my little squirt is lactose intolerant and has been since birth. Oddly, and happily, my dairy consumption hasn't effected him through my breast milk ((pass me the cheese stick please)). So when I cook for him I almost always cook vegan. 

It's CHALLENGING

It's FUN 

And it's DELICIOUS 

This week I made us some tofu veggie patties. I originally found the recipe on Pinterest but tweaked it and made it my own. What came out of the oven was a heavenly, very southwest savory dish with a healthy dose of vegetable and soy protein. I loved it, and more importantly, his portion didn't end up on the floor. 

Well, almost all of it made it.

We can't always win when negotiating with toddler terrorists.... 



Tofu + veggie patties


Ingredients 

2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup oats
1 cup boiling water
1/2 yellow onion chopped
2 carrots grated 
1 zucchini grated 
1 red bell pepper chopped
1/2 cup parsley finely chopped 
1/4 tsp pepper
Package silken tofu (( I only used half)) 
1 cup mild picante salsa 
Black beans (optional)
Salt to taste
Parchment paper

Directions 

* preheat oven to 350

1) Pour boiling water in a small bowl, add oats and mix

2) In a large saucepan on medium-low (( you know your stove better than I do )) heat olive oil, add onion and sauté for a few minutes 

3) Place grated carrots, zucchini and red pepper in the saucepan. Stir and cook for 10 minutes

((don't forget to taste and add what YOU think the recipe needs, I'm no Giada))

4) Add 1/2 of the salsa and stir for a few minutes. 

5) Add parsley, salt, pepper stirring occasionally --> now add oats and tofu. Mix and stir well
      --remove from heat and add the remaining salsa

6) Place baking paper on pan and mold into patties, flatten on top. Brush olive oil on top and bake for 30-40 mins. I baked them for 35

Enjoy with black beans, kidney beans or some good ol fashioned Spanish rice!  This could be delicious with sweet corn too, which you could add at step 3. 






No comments:

Post a Comment