Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Remember hot pockets?? Click here.

Remember hot pockets? 

That delicious folded over piece of dough filled with gooey, cheesy trans fat and sad animals?? I do. I used to pop those bad boys into the microwave, press the timer and like Pavlov's dog, drool until they were removed, burning the inside of my mouth like an explosion of hot lava goodness. 

I don't eat hot pockets anymore but obviously look back fondly upon those happy memories, silently mourning the loss of incredibly speedy metabolism.

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

I'm sure at some point in my son's life he will enjoy his fair share of Cool Ranch Doritos binges, will empty liters of Mountain Dew and finish endless amounts nerd ropes, but while I still have the ability to pick and choose what he eats, I'm going to fill him up with the most nutritious food I can. 

He has middle school to ruin all that I have created, where I am certain he will swap his roasted veggie wrap for a bologna sandwich (( tears )).

But I digress

Here is the recipe I threw together for some good old fashioned, healthy hot pockets. His were vegan, mine were filled with cheese. I did some research on the crescent rolls I used and there are mixed opinions on whether or not they are vegan. I concluded that they are but investigate for yourself, you are an adult after all. 

Is your mouth watering yet????


 Recipe





Ingredients
Crescent rolls
 Pizza sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 minced cloves of garlic 
Chopped zucchini and red pepper
Kale - leaves torn off center
Mozzarella cheese, cubed
Cheddar or Colby jack, cut in strips 

Directions 
Preheat oven as listed on directions ((350???))
Chop veggies, cheese and set aside 
Add olive oil to a nonstick pan and sauté onions with garlic for a few minutes
Next add kale, then zucchini & red bell pepper. Cover and sauté until kale wilts and softens
Open crescent rolls, fold out, separate 
Add pizza sauce, then veggies and desired amount of cheese (or leave it out!!!)


Roll up like you would a crescent roll and arrange on baking tray ... Get as crazy or creative as you want! You could even add fruit :) 
Cook for 11-13 minutes
Enjoy!!!! 

With cheese

Without cheese 


No comments:

Post a Comment