Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

The fruits of my labor


Don't worry, this isn't a post about my L&D with my son. 

What happens at Scottsdale Shea Labor and Delivery, stays at Scottsdale Shea Labor and Delivery, you feel me?

This is a post about food and family. I can get behind that...

One of the many cool things about being a new parent is being able to create traditions for your family, big, small, it's all up to you. Hopefully those traditions carry on through their childhood and into their adult years, which in turn are passed down to their kids and so on and so forth. Feel the pressure yet???

I have a few traditions I have created, one of them is spaghetti Sunday. Who doesn't love a good hearty bowl of pasta on the last day of weekend freedom? I certainly do, and even more so love seeing it smeared all over the face of my toddler who has taken a great liking to this tradition. I can't blame him, I make a mean bowl of noodles.

 I put the garnish on this purely for aesthetic purposes
I don't eat parsley on my noodles

Tonight I jazzed it up a little and added dessert to the menu. This is very hard to do when you have a child who breaks out in angry hives every time he comes into contact with dairy products. Milk has a way of sneaking itself into EVERYTHING and if you don't read the label carefully enough can really, and have a kid who is allergic to it, can end up with a few icky scenarios I'd rather not get into. Bottom line is dessert is hard when you're lactose intolerant. 

I found this recipe for coconut milk yogurt melts and immediately thought, ding ding ding, this is perfect! And it was. I'll share with you now then I have to get going. I have a glass of red wine calling my name and some Downton Abby to watch. Don't judge me....

 **DISCLAIMER : I used strawberries too but they turned out to be somewhat tasteless after I froze them. Stick with blueberries.

Coconut Yogurt Dipped Blueberries

Ingredients 
Blueberries
Coconut milk yogurt (preferably the Greek kind, I used regular and it was a bit thin) 
Baking tray



Directions: 

1. Put tray in the freezer for 20 minutes prior to making
2. Spear blueberries with toothpick or anything somewhat sharp and thin
3. Dip in yogurt
4. Place on tray and repeat until you have as many as your little heart desires
5. Freeze for an hour or more. After you take them off the tray transfer into a freezer safe container and let them go at it for a while longer. 



Enjoy and happy Sunday!
 


2 comments:

  1. Saw this on your pinterest ... looks really good! thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it turns out well for you! I bet you can use lots of different kinds of fruit as well. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete