Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Chocolate, peanut butter, sugar, oh my....

I'm not much of a dessert woman, nor am I a baker so I guess it works out. However, I wanted to do something nice for my neighbors and in the spirit of Thanksgiving decided to make some easy, delicious morsels for them to enjoy, hoping that the sugar rush and buttery intoxication comes in handy the next time they are awoken by a small shrieking animal (( aka my child )) at 3am. 

Mission accomplished. 

I've had these treats before, they consist of chocolate, peanut butter, sugar, sugar, and rice krispies. On the company website they call these "scotchees" or something. I call them a little bar of heaven. 

Pssst, they are vegan too... if you use proper dark chocolate like I didn't. Oops, guess mama gets to eat all the left overs... sorry Nolan.


Now all I need is for Starbucks and Total Wine to deliver a soy, skinny vanilla latte and some red blends and I'll be set for Turkey Day... which I am also doing vegan style. Wait for that post after I've come out of my food-coma. 


Here is the recipe. Did I mention you don't even bake these?!?!?!?

You're welcome.


What you need

3/4 cup of light corn syrup
3/4 cup of sugar
3/4 cup of peanut butter (or almond butter)
4 1/2 cups of puffed rice cereal 
8 oz chocolate chips

What you need to do

1. line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper, letting extra hang over the sides

2. In a saucepan, combine the sugar and corn syrup together over medium heat, stirring frequently until it reaches a boil. Once this happens remove from heat

3. Add peanut butter or almond butter and stir until smooth

4. Add rice cereal and mix it up until everything is covered in gooey wonderful-ness

5. Press the rice-sugar mix into the pan, making sure it reaches the sides and is pressed firmly down

6. In a microwave safe bowl zap the chocolate in the microwave at 50% heat for 30 second intervals stirring after each trip. Once the chocolate is blended smoothly pour over the top and let it cool to room temp

7. To cut into bars hold the extra parchment paper, lift the treats out and try not to eat them all yourself :-P

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment